I am going to show you how to make the perfect green enchiladas or enchiladas suizas as we call them in Mexico. They have a great tangy and spicy flavor from tomatillos and jalapeño pepper. These enchiladas are super easy and a great dinner idea for any night of the week.
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS IN GREEN SAUCE
Portions: 2 Preparation time: 35 MINUTES
Enchiladas suizas are a delicious meal made of shredded chicken wrapped in a warm tortilla, drenched in green sauce and topped with cream and cheese. They are a Mexican favorite and known throughout the country. Just as popular as the enchiladas are the various urban legends about their notorious name. Enchiladas suizas mean Swiss enchiladas. There is always that one person who tells the story about how his great-great uncle who was from Switzerland invented them and brought them to Mexico. Others say that they got their name from the way the melted cheese looks like the snow-covered Swiss Alps. Others say that someone had the idea to use a melty cheese like Swiss instead of the traditional kind and it was a hit. Whatever you believe, you will definitely love the flavor behind the legend.
This recipe makes the most delicious, tangy and spicy sauce that goes perfectly with the taste of warm tortillas succulent chicken and melty Mexican cheese. The green sauce is what makes these enchiladas amazing. It is so easy to make and you can use it in many other recipes. The chicken is delicious as well. I take chicken thighs – the most flavorful part of the chicken – and boil them in plain water with garlic, onion, salt and a bit of cilantro. It makes for the perfect flavorful shredded chicken. Remember to save the chicken broth. Some of it is used to make the sauce in this recipe and you can save the rest for another.
Because this is a healthy recipe, I do not fry the tortillas in oil the traditional way. This makes the tortillas a bit difficult to stay put, as they are not wilted in the hot oil. I use toothpicks to hold them together while they cook. Just stick the one in each enchilada, pointing straight up so you do not forget to take them out.
For more tips and inspiration to make this recipe, watch my video on Youtube:
Show me how your recipe came out on Instagram with #SpicyLatinaMom and don´t forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel and social media for everyday inspiration and more delicious recipes.
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS IN GREEN SAUCE
1 pound of green tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
Salt to taste
½ cup of chicken broth
Plain yogurt or sour cream
- Put the tomatoes and one jalapeño pepper in a pot to boil in water
- Put the cooked tomatoes, jalapeño, garlic, salt and broth in the blender and mix well
- Put the salsa back in an empty pot and bring to a boil for about 10 minutes
- Microwave the tortillas for about 20 seconds to soften them
- Fill the tortillas with chicken and roll them up
- Place the enchiladas in a baking dish and bake for about 10 minutes
- Remove the enchiladas from the oven and pour the green salsa on top
- Cover the enchiladas with plain yogurt, shredded cheese and chopped onion
- Put the enchiladas back in the oven for about 10 minutes
I love to read your comments! Please leave your comments below and share this recipe with your friends. ❤Laura
- Serrano Salsa - February 3, 2023
- Molcajete Sauce - February 2, 2023
- Tacos Toppings - January 20, 2023
Leave a Reply