Learn how to make almond milk at home without sugar. This vegan milk is very easy to prepare and is perfect to replace cow’s milk. Here I will tell you about the benefits of almond milk, what it is for and why it is a good source of calcium and vitamin D.
I give you the recipe and ingredients to give it a twist of vanilla and cinnamon flavor.
At home we stopped drinking cow’s milk after my son Jorge, then 1 year old, started having asthma attacks. Several times we ended up in the hospital hospitalized for days. Thanks to the intervention of an iridologist we discovered that cow’s milk was causing respiratory problems.
The solution to replace cow’s milk in our home was almond milk. Sometimes I make it home, some busy weeks I buy it. We use the unsweetened Silk almond milk.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE ALMOND MILK AT HOME
This unsweetened milk contains the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of almonds
- 4 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 pinches of ground cinnamon (optional)
HOW TO MAKE ALMOND MILK
Soak 2 cups of almonds in 4 cups of water overnight. Cover the container with a cloth while you let them soak.
The next morning remove the almond’s skin. The peel comes out very easy after the soaking. Remove the water were they soaked as well.
Place the almonds in the blender along with 4 cups of water or 1 liter of water, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 3 pinches of ground cinnamon.
After the days pass the almond milk takes more flavor and thickness and you can add more water to dilute if you want.
Pass the mixture through a kitchen cloth to remove the pulp and squeeze very well.
HOW DO YOU DRINK IT
It can be taken with cereal, smoothies, I practically use it for everything I used to use cow’s milk. I love making vegetable creams with the recipe for almond milk and I even prepared ice popsicles with fruits.
BENEFITS OF ALMOND MILK
Here I share why this vegetable milk is good for you:
- It is an excellent natural source of vitamin E. Vitamin E is a soluble fat that helps protect your body from free radicals.
- Vitamin E supports the health of the eye system and the skin as well as protects against heart disease.
- Almond milk is a good source of calcium.
ALMOND MILK VS COW’S MILK
- Almond milk is low in protein compared to cow’s milk, so cow’s milk has the advantage at this point.
- Children under one year of age should not drink cow’s milk or milk of plant origin as these can prevent the correct absorption of iron. Until one year of age, babies or infants should only drink breast milk or formula, almond milk is not an option for children under 1 year of age.
- Commercial almond milk can have preservatives, be high in added sugar, and more not that healthy ingredients.
- People who have problems with high cholesterol or triglycerides are highly recommended to drink almond milk, as it helps them to have a light digestion.
- Almond milk has fewer calories even than skim milk.
- If you buy sweetened almond milk, the best option is cow’s milk.
- Almond milk is a good alternative for lactose intolerant people.
WHAT IS THE BEST ALMOND MILK
- Almond milk brands may vary from location to location. Even the same brand may contain different ingredients depending on the country where it is manufactured.
- When looking for almond milk make sure you buy one that is sugar-free. You can also choose one that does not have gums or emulsifiers.
- Some brands dilute almond milk with rice milk. Take a good look at the ingredient label for what the almond milk you consume is made of.
- If you follow a vegan diet and do not consume any type of animal protein, make sure that the almond milk you consume is fortified with calcium and vitamin D.
WHAT IS ALMOND MILK
Almond milk is the mixture of water with powdered almonds. This mixture forms a white liquid with a smooth and whitish texture.
During the process, the almonds are peeled before being ground with water and then passed through a sieve. Depending on whether the almond milk is homemade or commercial, the ingredients may vary.
Commercial almond milk may contain preservatives, substances to thicken it, and artificial flavorings to make it last longer and taste better.
HOW LONG ALMOND MILK LAST WITHOUT SPOILING
Homemade almond milk, as it does not have preservatives, must remain in the refrigerator and lasts good for consumption between 4 and 5 days.
Natural almond milk takes on more thickness and flavor as the days go by.
WHAT TO DO WITH THE ALMOND PULP
I made a delicious banana pancake and you have no idea what texture and flavor it gave it. Remember that almonds can also be used for flour so do not throw away the ground almonds that are left over after making the milk.